Payroll within an accounting software is an added advantage as it is an integral part of a company or business. Many accounting software provides this integrated with the software, some providing it as an add-on. Payroll integration provides the facility to save time on calculations and the latest tax rates. Payroll information gets the current rates and forms data as per the norms fixed by IRS (Internal Revenue Services). It depends on the state the business and company are running in the United States of America.
QuickBooks is no different in terms of handling the payroll activities. However, it provides one of the industry best payroll handling internal tool that updates itself. It also calculates the tax information automatically.
Unlike other software in the market, QuickBooks provides the feature of running payroll as per the bookkeeper’s need. There are contractual employees in most of the small businesses and mainstream business as well, are paid by company multiple times in the months and to ease this task, QuickBooks provides following modes under Payroll:
- Scheduled Payroll
- Unscheduled Payroll
When a user (Bookkeeper or Accountant or Business Owner) runs the scheduled payroll the pay period end dates and paycheck dates automatically selected when the user runs the next payroll on the scheduled dates. With this facility, user does not have to remember the Dates of the last payroll ran and neither have to enter them manually. There is an option to Uncheck the employees to whom you do not want to pay in that pay period. As per the QuickBooks rules if the payroll does not run it will appear in the Pay Employees window in red to indicate that is in past due. It happens because in QuickBooks employees are assigned to scheduled payroll as per the Pay Frequency (for example every week or the month).
The unscheduled payroll is just the opposite of the Scheduled payroll as there is no need to keep track of the pay period as dates are not fixed and employees are not assigned as per Pay Frequency.
QuickBooks provides the payroll facility as a paid service; however, if a user is not willing to pay, the user can set up a Manual Payroll (No subscription needed).
To setup Manual Payroll in QuickBooks the preferences need to be set as per the steps below:
- QuickBooks Desktop 2018 R8 or later user need to make sure the Internet is not connected.
- Go to Edit menu and click on
- On the left pane select the Payroll and Employee then go to Company Preferences.
- The user needs to select Full Payroll option QuickBooks Desktop Payroll Features section and select OK.
- From the Help Menu, Select QuickBooks Help (or press F1).
- The user needs to select the topic Calculate payroll manually (without a subscription to QuickBooks Payroll).
- Then the user needs to click on Manual Payroll Calculations link to set the company file to use manual payroll calculations Settings.
One most important thing to remember is when the user selects the Manual Payroll calculation, QuickBooks insert a Zero amount for each payroll item associated with the tax.
- As the last step after inserting the manual rates and information Close and restart QuickBooks.
For any QuickBooks Payroll related issues, Dial QuickBooks payroll tech help phone number 1-888-412-7852 and speak to Certified QuickBooks ProAdvisors Team.