QuickBooks Payroll is a very useful software designed for managers who have to go through the monthly task of payroll. It makes it much easier for them to assign salary figures, make deductions, additions as well as calculating the tax.
What is QuickBooks Error 15270?
QuickBooks Payroll Update Error 15270 is a common error that occurs with the subscription of the Payroll service. It could prevent you from successfully updating QuickBooks. Users will usually see a notification with this message on their screen:
“Error 15270: The payroll update did not complete successfully. The update is missing a file.”
It is quite frustrating, as you might not be able to use your Payroll without updating it. It could really put a stop to the monthly payroll process, and we know how much employees want to be paid!
Causes of Payroll Update Error
This error could be caused by several different factors, including:
- You could be facing internet connectivity issues.
- Your Windows Firewall is poorly configured and could be blocking the update.
- The antivirus program on your system has had a conflict with the update files and has quarantined them.
- You have not yet entered a service key.
- You entered the incorrect service key.
- QuickBooks Payroll doesn’t have appropriate permissions to update.
- Your default browser is set to a program other than Internet Explorer.
- You might have corrupted entries in your registry.
- Additionally, there might be damaged files located in your local directory.
You May Also Read: QuickBooks Error 15271- How to fix it?
Top fixes for QuickBooks Error 15270:
There are multiple ways to fix this error. You may not be able to perform some of these on your own, especially if you are a newer user.
Solution 1: Attempt a manual update
- Restart your QuickBooks. You might be prompted by a notification from the QuickBooks Update Service. Click on Install Later.
- Navigate to Help, and click on Update QuickBooks.
- Once you open the Update QuickBooks window, select Update Now. Make sure you click on Reset Updates first.
- Click on OK to ensure the reset.
- Restart QuickBooks again.
- This time, when you receive the notification from the QuickBooks Update Service, click on Install Now.
- Be patient while the updates download and install. It should be successful this time around.
- Navigate to the Employees section. Click on Get Payroll Updates. Ensure that you have checked ‘Download Entire Payroll Update’, and select Update.
Solution 2: Make sure you have an active subscription
Depending on the type of subscription service you have, this process varies.
If you are running the Basic, Standard or Enhanced Payroll subscription, then:
- Click on Employees.
- Go to My Payroll Service.
- Next, select Account/Billing Information.
- Enter your login credentials, and view QuickBooks Payroll Account Maintenance. You should be able to see whether your subscription is active or not.
If you are running Assisted Payroll for QuickBooks:
- Navigate to the Account/Billing Information screen.
- Open QuickBooks Payroll Account Maintenance, and it should prompt an automatic update for your service.
Solution 3: Set Internet Explorer to your default browser
Not having IE set to your default browser might cause issues with updating QuickBooks Payroll service. This is the quickest way to set it to default in case it already isn’t.
- Open Internet Explorer.
- Click on Tools.
- From the drop-down menu, select Internet Options.
- Select Programs.
- From the Default Web Browser, click on Make Default.
- Click on OK.
Solution 4: Run Reboot.bat
This will register your company files in Microsoft Windows. Follow this method:
- Close QuickBooks Desktop.
- Right-click your Desktop icon.
- Next. select Properties.
- Select Open File Location.
- Right-click on reboot.bat and then run it as administrator.
Hope we helped!
That’s all for the best methods we felt could help users fix QuickBooks Error 15270. If you still are not able to download payroll updates or facing any difficulties in the above steps, you may contact at QuickBooks payroll tech support number 1-888-412-7852. It’s a toll-free number that should help you out 24*7.