While it is not possible for QuickBooks to track more than one EIN (Employer Identification Number) at a time for a single company, however, you are allowed to use your Payroll Subscription for more than one company file. You can in fact, have up to 3 different Company file based unique EIN systems all in one Payroll Subscription. However, there are some limitations and requirements to carry out this particular process. They are as follows:
Requirements and Limitations:
- You must use the same registered copy of QuickBooks Desktop for all companies’ payroll process, on a single Payroll Subscription, on the same computer.
- QuickBooks Desktop Payroll is wired to support only one company file per EIN. Attempts to use multiple company files under a single EIN and Payroll Subscription may lead to errors in the software.
- For all the companies you add under a single Payroll Subscription the contact information and payroll administrator remains the same
- If you pay your employees with DDs, you can have multiple companies with separate data files and different EINs on the same Payroll Subscription.
- Each QB Desktop Payroll Service’s limitation on the number of companies you can add on a single subscription is based on company data files and not the number of employees.
- Enhanced Payroll for Accountants license owners is strongly recommended against sharing their service keys with your clients as it may cause your subscription to be exposed to unauthorized users.
Need immediate assistance – dial QuickBooks error tech support number 1-877-263-2742 (Toll-Free)
Steps to add another company or EIN to your subscription:
- Select and click on the options Employees > Payroll > Use my existing Payroll Service
- Choose, Use Subscription Number [Payroll Subscription Version] under Identify Subscription. If this option is not available, select ‘other: I have an existing subscription and a zip code’ and then enter your information.
- Select ‘Next’
- On the ‘Add Company Information’ tab, select ‘Next’ and add company EIN
- Select ‘Return to QuickBooks Desktop’ or select ‘Print’. A ‘Validating Payroll Subscription’ tab opens and the service is automatically added
- Verify the ‘Service Key’
- Menu bar > Employees > Payroll Service > Manage Service Keys
- To display the new service key with an active status, select ‘View’
However, these steps do not apply if the following holds true:
- If you are using QuickBooks Desktop 2018 or later versions
- If QuickBooks Desktop Payroll subscription was purchased before creating a company file
If your subscription was purchased directly for Intuit prior to creating QuickBooks Desktop company file, you may follow the following steps to add another EIN to your existing Payroll Subscription:
- Extracting the service key of the EIN you are going to add
- Use Automated Service Key/ Disk Delivery key tool
- On providing the EIN you will be given a unique service key. Please use this automated service key if you are receiving updates by disk.
Steps to add this EIN to your existing Payroll Subscription:
- Top ‘Menu’ bar > Employees > Payroll > enter Payroll Service Key
- Select ‘Add’ and enter the service key without any hyphens. In case the company file already has an existing Service Key do not select ‘Add’ but select ‘Edit’ and then enter the Service Key
- Select ‘Next’ then select ‘Finish’
- A new Tax Table will be downloaded and payroll functions will be automatically updated in your QuickBooks Desktop company file.
If getting technical difficulties while using QuickBooks Payroll, quickly dial QuickBooks Payroll support desk number 1-888-412-7852 (available 24*7).